Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What is it about refined flour?


Why does a croissant hit the crave button so much louder than my sourdough flax bread from the CSA? Why does cake make me grab and bran muffins make me think twice? Why are my ethics and need for healthy foods so easily subverted by sugar? Why doesn't knowing better make more of a difference?

Questions I'm working on...

And while I'm at it...Why do people think that because I've got chef in my repertoire that I know how to get kids to eat? My 3 1/2 year old can pass for not yet 2, she is so little. She loves ladybugs and likes pasta and cheese, so I made her ravioli that I used marinara and shitake mushrooms (both of which she likes) to decorate to look like ladybugs. She refused to eat, and not for sympathy to the "bugs". She wouldn't even take a bite of her brother's ravioli that was dry. Of which there was plenty 'cause he wouldn't eat more than 1/2 of one ravioli! Arggghhhh! I wish I knew the trick, other than mac n cheese or fish sticks! It seems if it's from a box and not really food, they'll eat it all. What kind of survival of the species instinct is this! They are begining to refuse anything I offer them on a spoon. My daugter had to be coerced this morning with bribes of blueberry smoothie to taste the honey on my tea spoon. What, do they think I'd make them taste something awful? "Here Emerald, try this liverwurst and marzipan frosting I made..." What to do....?

2 comments:

wineprincess said...

White flour versus whole grain flour is tricky. My family has been eating whole grain exclusively for about 18 months, and it definitely takes a lot of effort to do. I have the motivation because my older child is in a much better mood and eats a better variety of other foods when she's not filled up on white flour crackers or pasta.

Here are some of our easy whole grain favorites, all available at New Leaf:
Annie's Whole Wheat Shells (macaroni & cheese variation)
Alvarado St. Bakery California Style Complete Protein Bread
Buckwheat Soba Noodles
Brown Rice cakes with Sesame
Rudi's Whole Spelt Tortilla

At first I just mixed these items in occasionally to our diet, and eventually was able to fully switch. When making things from scratch, whole wheat flour requires more fat than the same quantity of white flour. Also, a little additional sugar (or honey) and a little extra salt (when converting a white flour recipe)gets the flavor balance right. My theory is that because whole wheat flour has a stronger flavor than white flour, it needs bolder companions in baking. Also, make sure you're using reasonably fresh flour...

That doesn't really answer the question of why cake calls to you, and perhaps it was rhetorical... I have found that over time (like I said, 18 months) I prefer the whole wheat versions and so does my husband, despite his predictions otherwise.

If you're looking for a delicious way to break into whole grain, try the whole wheat scone with dates at Hoffmann's. But don't be tempted by all the cakes right next to it!

Princess Tuesday said...

I'm a mom to two toddlers, and I try to cook healthy foods most of the time. My experience has been that they basically live on yogurt and cheerios. When my son ate half a meatball this weekend I almost did a happy dance. So you're not alone!