Monday, October 13, 2008

Got S.O.L.E.?

I've created this blog as a means to discuss, rant, consider, and express my concerns about what and how we eat. To me as a mom, wife, human, and chef, food is one of the most essential things I do that I direct control over. Though the more I'm aware of eating, the more I realize how much of my ability to decide what I'm going to eat has been stolen from me without my knowledge. I'm finding the need to be hyper vigilant when I get food. I can never make assumptions, but must do research and often extensive detective work just to find the answers to the basic questions I want to, and should, know about my meal. These questions are:
What is this?
Where did it come from?
Is it healthy?
What is it made/grown with/from?
What is the cost?

In terms of "What is this?" too often I grab a box of something that has a picture of food on it, but upon further examination I find that it is many other things as well, many of them things I have no idea what they are. A simple thing like rice has other things like maltodextrin, lecithin, modified food starch, soybean oil with TBHQ added, monosodium glutamate, disodium guanylate, & disodium insoinate (which are labeled as flavor enhancers). I can take the time and look these up, but I'm pretty sure most of these aren't that healthy and some may be downright scary. The fact is that I don't know, and shouldn't I? If I'm going to put this into my body, and my breast milk?
"Where did it come from?" In the case of this rice, the package says "Distributed from New Orleans". But where did the rice come from? Or the disodium quanylate? I don't know and doubt even with calling the company or even going to the distributing warehouse that I would not be able or allowed to find out specifics. In this age of global intermixing of products, and all the news about the milk from China, I'd like to know where my food lived out its days. Not to mention the possibility that eating food from my own eco-system helps my body to deal with and adjust to the elements of that eco-system.
"Is it healthy?" Probably the most loaded question of all. With scientists, nutritionists, doctors, herbalists, and folk wisdom all having their own say, I have come to the conclusion that nothing is "safe" to eat and everything could possibly cause some kind of harm. Water can be contaminated from toxic runoff from the beef ranch upstream, therefore just about everything else can be contaminated as well, not to mention the unhappy hormone, antibiotic, and chemical laden cows themselves. And not overlooking the toxic chemical and BPA filled containers that the food comes in. Just makes me freaked out to think of the depths this question can take me.
"What is it made from or grown with?" Though this harkens back to the first question I feel it should be asked also. Lets go back to the rice, what container was used to cook the parboiled rice? Was it aluminum? I have concerns about cooking with aluminum. Was the water fluoridated? Did the person who put it into its container have the flu? A cut on the hand? Will I only find the answer to that question too late? Was it grown in a field next to an over concentrated feedlot? Was it grown in a field next to a busy freeway? Did the seeds occur in a natural process of evolution or a laboratory? Was it watered from a stagnant pond, a fresh spring, or snow melt from two states away?
"What is the cost?" By this question I do not only mean the price on the label. Cost involves how and who brought it to this point. The toll on the eco systems, environment, farmers, workers, producers, packagers, shippers, fuel ( and oh how we are learning about the huge depths that simple word goes. Think polar bears, soldiers, families, politics, financial institutions, etc...), suppliers, vendors, grocers, advertisers, my time, my kids time, and last but by far not least, our health after consuming the product. Is this food food worth the cost?

So getting back to the point, I'm striving(and struggling)to keep what we consume good for us. Sustainable for our health, our community, our environment, our future, our planet. Organic and not riddled with chemicals, enhancers, laboratory science, and/or politics. Local support for local support. We couldn't thrive without keeping our community together. I love our village and want to keep it. And ever being mindful of my place in ecology. Ecology is the scientific study of the distribution and abundance of life and the interactions between organisms and their natural environment. I think we play a very central role in our ecology and cannot fully know the impact we will make over the course of time. Not only to our surroundings, but to ourselves. We must take the interactions of all things we do very seriously. To quote a t-shirt "Karma is as Karma does".

So keep checking in with me and maybe together we can find a way to eat and be merry!

4 comments:

Dyane said...

YO Tracy! Congrats on your new, awesomely named blog. Blogging must be in the air, because I just started my blog over on Wordpress last week:

http://proudlybipolar.wordpress.com/

Blogging is so much fun. I thought of you when I went to the Felton Farmer's Market last week. I have been using my Santa Cruz Family cookbook a lot recently, now that I am totally out of my depression. Seven weeks ago I decided to stop taking the traditional drugs that were so toxic to my system. I have "gone holistic" and I feel 100% better. I am taking New Chapter holy basil, L-carnosine, gingko, magnesium baths, and 10 grams of Nordic Naturals fish oils a day! I'm also doing acupuncture, Chinese herbs and bright light therapy...and blogging! I started a free monthly support group for moms with depression/bipolar - we meet downtown -- and we have 10 strong mamas! All of these things are making a huge difference in my life. I'd love to catch up with you this fall and chat about yummy food and also about Rhodiola....wasn't that something you were really into at some point? ;) hope to connect with you soon. Love & peace & tasty treats, Dyane Leshin-Harwood

Dyane said...

I love the ending quote "Karma is as karma does" -I have a wonderful friend named Karma and I have got to tell her about that - it would make a great T-shirt for her, dontcha think? ;)

Tracy said...

Thanks Dyane and same to you. You can get the T shirt at Made In Santa Cruz on the wharf next to Marini's. And YAY for herbal remedies, yeah rhodiola worked great while I was pregnant and now relora and st johns are doing the trick.

sagecat said...

Hi Tracey
I am so glad to see this, especially reading the Omnivore's Dilemma. I am in that parents dilemma. Tonight Isak wouldn't eat what I made him, would only eat a little smoked salmon, a little avocado and a bit of a cracker. No to the broccoli, a few bites of beans and rice. Today he refused the usual favorite, scrambled egg with sauteed spinach and zukes. KILLING ME. He will always eat pasta and crackers. At least he likes pesto and I sneak in other greens into the pesto. It is making me CRAZY. And I really don't want to be, but I so want to help him have a good healthy start.
-sage (sagecat)