Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rainbow Rice!


This one worked moderately well at getting my picky eater to consume a bit of food at dinner. The green beans, yellow, orange, and red peppers, purple and blue (used a drop of plant based blue food dye) eggplants are from our CSA and the brown basmati rice is organic, though I don't know where from. I also added cut up leftover chicken from a previous meal, though sadly it is only a free range organic chicken and not a local pasture raised one*. The prep wasn't too hard, I blanched the green beans before dicing, diced up everything else and, in order of yellow to blue, stir fried everything with a bit of garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and salt. The rice was steamed with homemade stock, which I make using any left over vegetable pieces, meat bones, and herbs. (Whenever we have meat I freeze any bones or pieces that we don't give the dog and every other week or so I get out my huge pot, chuck in everything and let it simmer all day. Viola! Oh, and I add a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar to get more minerals out of the bones.) I'd say she ate about 1 1/2 cups of the stuff, and I felt elated!
*I'll go into the pastured chicken vs. free range organic chickens in another post soon. I want to do a bit more research first to give solutions instead of frustration.

2 comments:

Micfac said...

Tracy,

Have you heard of Monavie? I hope I am not offending you by sharing this info., but since you value whole foods and nutrition and are concerned about getting what your body NEEDS...I thought I should share it with you.

Here's a video about MonaVie and my web site link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coNYLQfVd5o

~Michele
210-857-9995
www.mymonavie.com/micfac

Tracy said...

Thanks for your interest. I enjoyed the video, very well done. Though I gotta say it reminded me of Avon, Mary Kay, and Amway kinda stuff.
Part of what I'm about, and thus, this blog, is local stuff, and whole foods. Though I think Acai is a great fruit and the Brazilians shown in the video are getting a good deal, I also think that our locally raised organic apples are better for my health. I believe strongly that what you eat should be from where you live. For nutrition, adaptability, fuel usage, and community support, it is far more important to eat within your environment. I know if you break down acai into it's molecular components it's got a ton of great things going for it. But my local apple does too, and it lived in a climate that I did. It was meant for me to eat. The acai is meant for its local people. That's my belief.
I wish you luck in your venture and thanks for checking into my brand new blog!